Monday, May 25, 2009

Multitasking - efficiency or procrastination?

Entertain Me
10 x 10
oil on canvas
This morning I found I was continually brushing my fingers on the painting messing up the foreground so finally I decided I'd have to go down to the garage, find a piece of wood and build a support to rest my hand on. On the way I came across some some towels bound for the laundry so I picked them up and headed for the laundry room. Of course I had to pass thru the kitchen to get there and I realized I hadn't had breakfast yet so I put scones in the oven to heat up and while I waited I surveyed the stack of last nights dishes. I caved in and filled the sink to wash them up, ate my breakfast and then tried to remember why I was downstairs - oh yah - the stick! This is the way my day goes and why I'm not very productive...
However I did get the painting done to the point of it being time to put it aside for a while. This is a scene from my hometown market which started up last weekend. Finally summer is here!

7 comments:

Carolina said...

Hey! We have something in common! ;)

Dana Cooper said...

Have you ever read "if you give a mouse a cookie..." Your post sounds a lot like that wonderful children's book.
Very nice colorful painting,Barb!

Unknown said...

Hi Carolina - glad I'm not alone - I find it hard to stay focussed but I think it's also still a little fear of picking up the brush.

Thanks Dana - I'll have to look up that book! The painting itself is a little more saturated in color but my camera is leaning towards the blues these days and when I reduced the cyan all the color faded a bit so not sure how to adjust for that - will have to check with R!

Michelle said...

Oh my, is that the story of my life! It's because there are just too many things to do. Glad to see you somehow managed to squeeze in some time for your wonderful painting!

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

Barb, I love it! I also suffer greatly from what you are describing and I call it "But First Syndrome." I'm looking for a stick to rest my hand on "BUT FIRST" I'll clean off the kitchen counters. We are visual distractors... don't get me started on all this ADD stuff, I've got books aplenty on it!

This is a nice painting -- I think we share some color aesthetic. (as well as But Firsting!) :D Thanks for your nice comment on my landscape. I almost But-Firsted myself out of getting it posted on KJ's site!

L.Holm said...

LOL! I so identify with this. EXACTLY how my day goes, too!
Lovely painting.

Gary Keimig said...

these last few postings have been just wonderful, Barb. Good job