Thursday, January 3, 2013

Photographing really the challenge?


Day 2 Winter
6 x 6
acrylic on canvas

So this sketch was a joy to do - felt free and fun and although from a photo it has I think it successfully portrays my feelings of a gorgeous sunny day high in the alpines.  A day like I had today up Nickleplate with my skate skiis on.
The problem was trying to photograph the painting outside with the pesky wind blowing it away whilst my camera was talking back to me.  Image too dark! Oh, forgot to remove the lense cap.  Red dot flashing and REC as well.  Had to go inside and dig out my manual.  Hmm - seems I was trying to take a video...I used to be pretty good with technology but I struggle to get the exposure and the white balance right.  Details aside I'm happy with the design and composition.

4 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this is fabulous!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Mary. It was certainly fabulous to ski in!

L.Holm said...

Hi, Barb! I love your winter paintings..so immediate and fresh. Glad you're doing the challenge.
I shoot my paintings outside, too, and was wondering how I'll do this when the weather's not cooperating. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Liz, It's snowing so hard now there is no way I can shoot my paintings outside. I'm putting them on the floor right beside the doors but it's not ideal. Oh well.