Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Venturing into triptychs

portion of Valleyview
12 x 12
oil on canvas

 I was out for a drive last fall and was coming around a bend looking for good views when all of a sudden there was the scene that I'd been wanting to paint.  Rather than using a wide angle lens I took three shots and stitched the photos together so that the painting would appear as if one was standing in one spot and gazing across the scene from south to north and back.  One of the challenges of painting this beautiful valley is getting the entire vista all onto one canvas so when our local art group announced a new show called Triptych I decided to give a three panel panorama a go.  My goal here was to try to maintain flow across all three as well as trying to give each piece a stand alone strength.   The background of my title shows all three pieces together.  12 x 36

2 comments:

Marie Theron said...

Splendid work, I love the mountain layering in the background!

martinealison said...

Je vous félicite pour cette belle toile. Une très belle harmonie de couleurs et une sérénité fusionnent et j'aime beaucoup la manière que vous avez peint votre eau...
bisous