Saturday, September 18, 2010

Underpaintings

View to Skaha Lake
12 x 12
oil on wrapped canvas
SOLD
I've been doing an enormous amount of reading various artists' blogs and have picked up so many tips and ideas and sometimes wish I could go back and find out where some of these came from. I should really document as I go. This painting above was from a photo taken during a plein air outing and the method I used was to do a fairly detailed underpainting in one hue that being iron oxide. I found this helped me get a better range of values and an idea of whether the design was going to work. It also helped to cover all the white right away as I hate those little specks showing through. Then it was just pure fun adding in the colors!

1 comment:

Nancy Everett said...

This is lovely! I love your color and composition.