Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grape Reflections
6 x 6
oil on doorskin
I've been wanting to paint grapes to go along with the vineyard theme that I thought I'd focus on this summer and as usual I can't make it simple and want to be different so I laid the grapes down on a mirror, spilled some wine over them and presented myself with the additional challenge of multi reflections. Had the usual battle with the brain insisting on knowing how a grape should look versus what I was actually seeing in the composition. Once I went with trusting what I saw the paint went down faster and the shapes started to make sense.

3 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Beautiful! Before I read your post I thought "those grapes are spilling their wine"!

Gary Keimig said...

Good idea. I think it worked. Looks good

Unknown said...

Thanks Dana and Gary. I seem to have the grapes and wine thing out of my system - back to street scenes!